PB&J is probably one of the most nostalgic foods for me. Whenever I am stressed, had a long day or really just want something to remind me of home I make a PB&J sandwich. For a long time I did not allow myself to have a PB&J sandwich for the fear of it making me gain weight which was totaly irrational thinking but it happened. Sinced I have stopped restricting my diet and living a balanced life I have had plenty of time to eat me some PB&J. My favorite combo you ask…crunchy peanut butter with strawberry jam on white bread. It is perfect.
Anyways! Pretty much every morning I eat some variation of oatmeal because it is delicious, it keeps me full for a long time and filled with healthy carbs and fats but the other day I wanted to switch it up so I made these muffins. They are great because they are gluten and dairy free, made with whole real ingredients, easy to take on the go for a fast breakfast or snack and most important are DELICIOUS! Now, if you do not need to be gluten free you can use regular oats no big deal. The jam for these can be adapated and made with any fruit you wants. It is low in sugar and full of healthy fats from the chia seeds.
Anyway you look at it, it’s a win win with these muffins!
Inspired by Ambitious Kitchen
Gluten & Dairy Free PB&J Oat Muffins with Homemade Chia Seed Jam
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons melted and cooled coconut oil
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (regular milk too if you can tolerate dairy)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oats (or regular oats)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 homemade jam
Mixed Berry Chia Seed Jam
Makes 1/4 cup but can easily be doubled or tripled
- 1 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 TBS maple syrup or honey
- 1.2 TBS chia seeds
- 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a medium pot bring berries and maple syrup to a boil. Lower the heat and let it continue to cook for about 4 minutes stirring often.
- Mash the berry mixture with a fork or potato masher.
- Stir in the chia seeds until fully combined and let cook on low for about 10 minutes stirring often.
- Once thick, remove from heat and add vanilla.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE MUFFINS
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place muffin liners in the pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix coconut oil, peanut butter, honey, egg and almond milk.
- Mix together until well combined and smooth.
- Add in oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Pour 1 TBS of batter into each muffin liner, add more batter if there are leftovers at the end.
- Add jam by teaspoonful onto the top off each muffin and swirl around gently.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. You do not want to let these go too long because they will be dry.
- Once baked immediatley remove from muffin tin and place on a wire rack to cool.
You can freeze these muffins and defrost or keep in the fridge for about a week.