A couple of months ago I tried something that changed the way I look at butter forever. Sounds a bit weird I know, but it is true. I was testing out a recipe from Ambitious Kitchen (who is amazing by the way) for Nutella Stuffed Browned Butter Brownies and the recipe obviously called for browned butter. I had never made it before and had only heard about it on the Food Network so I was not aware of the way it can change a simple brownie or cookie batter from delicious to absolutely to die for! After I mixed the browned butter into the sugar mixture for the brownies the smell was intoxicating. It was nutty, butter, sugary and over all increvable smelling (and tasting, because obviously I had to taste it). Since that day any opportunity I have to make a recipe with browned butter I do. It takes what you are baking to a whole other level and it is 100% worth the small amount of extra effort it takes.
So today when I decided to make cookies with the Reese’s Pieces candies David and I got from Bulk Barn (the greatest store ever) the other day I knew they would be perfect with browned butter #happydance. These cookies are great because they are easy, have very few ingredients and you can make them with chocolate chips instead if you want. I adapted the recipe for these cookies from here.
Do everyone a favor and get your butt in the kitchen and make these chewy, nutty, peanut buttery cookies!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Reese’s Pieces or chocolat chips
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Place butter in medium sauce pan over medium high heat and DO NOT STEP AWAY. Continue to whisk the butter until it begins to foam and give off a nutty smell. You will start to see little brown bits on the bottom of the pan. It will take about 5 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on it or it will burn and become burnt butter which is no bueno. Once browned, remove from stove and let cool.
- While butter is cooling, mix brown sugar, coconut sugar and egg until smooth. Add molasses and vanilla and whisk again until fully combined.
- Once fully combined add flour, baking soda and salt and mix well and dough can form a ball. Fold in your Reese’s or chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Roll dough into 1 TBS balls and place on a large baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes or until edges begin to turn slightly golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for about 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.